|Sunday||9.00am & 12.00 noon|
|Mon to Sat||10.00am|
Our Past: Dalkey seems to be one of only a small number of rural Scandinavian settlements recorded in the country.As subsequently the port of Dublin, Dalkey is often of particular interest to researchers. The medieval town appears to have been defended by a bank and ditch at least since the 15th century . The township is recognised on maps from at least 1600.
Our Catholic Church was dedicated on 26th September 1841. It is a simple Gothic Revival structure in local granite and render with square bell tower. It is on Castle Street opposite the 10th century church of St Begnet, a woman and abbot, to whom the church on Dalkey Island is also dedicated.
After St Begnet’s fell into disuse, Loughlinstown, with a chapel at Cabinteely, was the main parish for Roman Catholics nearby. By the beginning of the 19th century the Catholic population of Dalkey increased due to quarrymen and workmen providing granite for the pier at Dun Laoghaire. The Dublin to Kingstown Railway in 1834 brought more worshippers. Canon Sheridan, Parish Priest of Kingstown (Dun Laoghaire), called a meeting of Dalkey residents in March 1840 following which a church in Dalkey was erected. Land opposite St Begnet’s was leased from Mr Thomas Connolly. Later his son, Canon Connolly, P.P. Harrington Street, donated the site to the Church, which consisted only of the present nave; the altar where the gallery is today and the main door 30’ back from Castle Street. The humble walls were pebbles, mortar and earth, coated in plaster.
As Dalkey grew, Fr George Harold in the 1880s decided to extend the Church out to Castle Street and relocate the sanctuary to the front. Newly prosperous, we used cut granite to build the new transepts and sanctuary, and added a handsome bell tower. The roof was raised, and a fan-vaulted ceiling were installed. A gallery was constructed with a two-manual organ by Dublin organ-builder, John White.
The Last Supper in marble relief on the front of the altar is much loved. Two angels by Mayer of Munich flank the reredos. Side shrines with statues of Our Lady and the Sacred Heart in white marble are dated 1897. Marble panels in the sanctuary were added in 1932.
Over the altar are stained-glass windows of French origin. The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin, the patron of the parish is in the centre. St Patrick and St Brigid, the patrons of Ireland flank her to left and right. These were restored by Abbey Stained Glass of Kilmainham in 1991 to coincide with the renovation of the Church and the celebration of the 150th anniversary of its dedication.
Also in 1991 the plaster Stations of the Cross were restored to their original colour in by Sean McDonnell. He sculpted the timber relief of Cardinal Newman (1801-1890) who spent the autumn of 1854 living in Dalkey while establishing the Catholic University in Dublin.
When the church was renovated in 1991 for the 150th anniversary, the porches and sacristy were re-ordered.
The 150th anniversary was marked with a week of celebration culminating with a Jubilee Mass on 26th September followed by a reception in the Cuala Centre. Fr. Desmond Forristal, Parish Priest wrote an article for the parish newsletter thanking all those who had contributed to the celebration either by helping with the planning and organising of the events or by contributing food, flowers, plants, shrubs and transport. He also thanked those who attended the Jubilee Mass including the Archbishop, the priests, the Cathaoirleach, the representatives of other churches, the Sisters from Loreto and Bulloch Harbour and most of all the parishioners of Dalkey.
The 175th anniversary of the dedication of the Church was celebrated with a Mass of Thanksgiving on 26th September 2016. Mass was concelebrated with the Archbishop of Dublin, Most Rev. Dr. Diarmuid Martin by Fr. Paddy Devitt and Fr. Declan Gallagher. Music was provided by St. Begnet’s Quartet, the Adult Choir, the Gospel Choir, the Children’s Choir and the Taize Group. The Mass was attended by Priests from the cluster parishes; Priests who served in the parish; who had lived in the parish or who had a connection to the parish; by Rev. Bruce Hayes and Rev. Kevin Conroy from St. Patrick’s Church of Ireland and Rev. Ben Neill and Mrs. Neil; by the Loreto Sisters and Sisters from Our Lady’s Manor and approximately 400 parishioners. Mass was followed by a reception in the Heritage Centre.
Icon of St. Begnet
May St Begnet continue to bless our Church and all who come to view her. Visit www.ikonerin.org for more information on iconography in Ireland.
On the death of Canon Sheridan, P.P. Kingstown in 1862 the parish was divided into Kingstown/Monkstown and Glasthule/Dalkey /Ballybrack with Fr John Harold (1862- 1868) as Parish Priest of the latter. A marble plaque over the sacristy door marks his burial. His brother Fr George Harold later served as Parish Priest (1880 -1894). Their names live on in the Harold Schools in Glasthule and Dalkey.
In1927 Dalkey was separated from Glasthule and made a parish in its own right.
Clustered Parishes in the 21st Century.
Since 2010, our Dalkey parish is part of a cluster with Glasthule, Sallynoggin and Dun Laoghaire, all in the Dun Laoghaire Deanery of the Archdiocese of Dublin.